Thursday, July 2, 2009

Style Icons: West Side Story

I have a soft spot for musical theater and the softest gooey center of that soft spot is for 1950s related musical theater. Like West Side Story. I love to watch it on both stage and screen. I first saw the Natalie Wood version when I was in high school, which was the height of my 1950s fascination, i think. And of Course I don't have to explain to you why it's a delight. I never got to see it on the stage until, hmmm, last summer? It didn't feel that long! I went with my husband and it was definitely one of the better big productions that we've seen (he gets dorky about musical theater too; I'm the luckiest girl!) And while, I'll never stop saying Maria, I think I'm more inspired by her fiery friends.





I want to live in a world where it's completely normal to wear the frilliest of party dresses all the time, even just around the neighborhood. I want orange and red and purple to be a typical color combination.



It's easy to get inspired by theater and film costuming. It's so stunning and larger than life. The trick, I think, is how do I make this aesthetic work for me? How do I make this look real life appropriate?



No comments:

Post a Comment